Help me save my Spit!

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Help me save my Spit!
From: Kirk Petersen <kpete@ez2.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 1997 22:30:49 -0800
Greetings-
I am the (usually) proud owner of a 1979 Spitfire. It's been running and

smogged and registered to the specs of the California DMV (BOO! HISS!).
Up until last March at least. It was due for a smog check this year so I

did all the usual things ( rebuilt carb, changed the oil, tweak the
valves and timing, etc.). Brought it to the local smog station and when
they did a pretest they said the emissions were approximately 10x the
legal limit. After driving home with it's tail between it's rear wheels
and registering it non-operational, I took a look at the carb (150 CD)
again. I noticed that the threaded plastic piece that the gross mixture
adjustment screw sits in is broken in half. I assume that this makes it
impossible to lean out the mixture with the adjustment in the piston.
With this piece broken, there's no way I'll ever get it to pass smog.
With a new baby (6 months old next week) and a new business, I don't
have the time or the money to do major work or spend major bucks.
So... my question. Does anyone know if there is anywhere that I can
purchase just the gross adjustment needle and the threaded plastic part
it fits in? All I've seen is a complete rebuilt carb, which is out of my

budget right now.
Thanks,
Kirk