Re: More Dirty Engine Flushing

To: DANMAS@aol.com
Subject: Re: More Dirty Engine Flushing
From: Joe Worsley <worsley@ebicom.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 1997 10:03:39 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
DANMAS@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-11-07 00:03:53 EST, tboicey@brit.ca writes:
>
> >  However, I think we are all running on detergent oil
> >  and have been for decades. Switching to a oil with
> >  better detergent qualities doesn't sound like as
> >  much of a shock as jumping in from nowhere like when
> >  detergent oils first became the norm.
>
> Trevor:
>
> This is true for most of us, but what about those of us who are lucky enough
> to find an old car that has been stored in some old barn for many years, but
> still in good condition? What precautions should these lucky folks take?
>
> Dan Masters,
> Alcoa, TN

Removing the valve cover should give a very good indication of the status of
sludge
build up.  I can remember many cars from the 50's that had a 1/4 inch layer of
sludge
build up.  Trying to clean up one like this with ATF or other cleaners would be
disasterous.  The only way would be to have the blocked vat dipped during a
overhaul.

A noted on a earlier post - most cars of later date run higher temperature
thermostats
that help keep the deposits from forming as well as the high detergent oil.  I
haven't
seen a engine in many years that had any significant deposits.  Even the cars
only
driven to the suppermarket are in better shape today as they heat up faster.

Joe Worsley
80 TR8
72 TR6
Tupelo, MS USA