Non-LBC - What type of List member are you?

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, "'british-cars@autox.team.net'" <british-cars@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Non-LBC - What type of List member are you?
From: "Musson, Carl" <musson@satie.arts.usf.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 16:36:51 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
This came from someone on a work-related Talk/Discussion list.  Thought
it was something to think about, so I am passing it along to the lbc
lists.

NO LBC Content

-------------------------------------------- Original Message Follows

PC Week recently published a short column by Bill Machrone about the
tone of posts to discussion groups. It's called "How to tell if you're a
donkey's patootie" excerpt below:
Since no one admits to being a flamer, and it's always the other person,
this quiz will help you determine if you are, in fact, that other
person.
1 You read a message that contains information you believe to be
erroneous.  You:
   a       sigh and go on.
   b       reply with a query that elicits more information.
   c       draft an angry response in your mind.
   d       post that angry response NOW.

2  Have you ever posted a message with any of the following phrases:
                "You (descriptive adjective or pejorative noun)" or "You
obviously don't =
                understand/know/appreciate ..."?
    a       Never.
    b       Sometimes.
    c       Often.
    d       It's in my signature file.

3 Your postings...
   a       what postings? I'm a lurker.
   b       ask what I need to know.
   c       answer questions when I'm sure of the answer.
   d       restate the replies of others, only better.

4 Within the group or forum that you most often frequent, you are:
   a       less knowledgeable than most.
   b       about average.
   c       more knowledgeable, but I don't flaunt it.
   d       without me, the group would fall into an abyss of ignorance.

5 Everyone else in the group is:
   a       encyclopedic and intimidating.
   b       just folks.
   c       in need of guidance.
   d       functionally incapable of understanding my simple,
well-articulated points.

6 Replies to your postings most often take the form of:
   a       sneering silence.
   b       reasonable discourse.
   c       multiple, angry diatribes.
   d       death threats.

7 When first entering a new group, you:
   a       read all the threads in awe.
   b       read everything but hang back.
   c       engage in discourse where I feel comfortable.
   d       respond to as many messages as possible, so people know I've
arrived.

8 Online, you most enjoy:
   a       reading others' conversations.
   b       give and take.
   c       getting a rise out of people.
   d       really making the fur fly.

9 The most important thing in an online group is:
   a       consensus.
   b       keeping threads on-topic and relevant.
   c       introducing new ideas and asides.
   d       hawking my product or service to a new, ripe audience.

Score yourself one point for every "a," two for every "b," three for
each "c" and four for each "d."
        9-15 points:    You're holding back.
        16-22 points:   You're a team player, if a bit on the quiet
side.
  23-29 points:   You probably get on people's nerves occasionally.
  30+ points:     Burn your keyboard before you inflict yourself on
anyone else.