RE: brake pads followup

To: "Peter Zaborski" <peterz@merak.com>, "Peter Zaborski" <peterz@merak.com>, "TR6 List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: brake pads followup
From: "Craig Bentley" <MMBENT@classic.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 97 21:46:20 UT

-----Original Message-----
From:   owner-triumphs@autox.team.net  On Behalf Of Peter Zaborski
Sent:   Monday, November 03, 1997 3:14 PM
To:     'TR6 List'
Subject:        brake pads followup

Tanks to Pete Chadwell and Don Sforza for providing info on brake pads,
both suggested Repco pads (Metalmaster or Semi-metallic). I could not
get Repcos locally so I opted for PBR MetalMaster pads (made in
Australia).

One thing I noticed is that my driver side pads were worn way more than
the pass side. Any ideas on what could cause this?

Prior to changing the pads I had the rotors turned and found that the
driver side rotor had a groove in it and the pad a corresponding ridge
(I assume remnants of a rock getting caught in there some time ago?).
This groove/ridge combo is what I suspect caused the pulling to the
driver side under hard braking I was experiencing recently. But I don't
know if it could also account for the greater wear of the driver side
pads. I am looking for the usual causes of this uneven wear - anyone
have ideas?

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada

[]  My own personal theory is that it might be you. I see this quite
frequently on the cars that I work on and they are brand new! It seems to be
more pronounced on "commuter cars" i.e. cars that need new pads every 15k.
I've often wondered what caused this and all I could come up with is there is
always a driver in the car (at least one would hope) and therefore there is
always more weight on that side of the car. Short of checking the actual
hydraulic pressures at each wheel I don't know how to prove my theory. Oh well
its just a theory.  Craig Bentley