Tranny/engine removal

Subject: Tranny/engine removal
From: Susan Hensley <susan@grotecon.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 1997 15:02:17 -0600
Someone please let me know privately: My mechanic had to disassemble and
remove the transmission before he could pull my engine out of the car?
Sound reasonable?  Something he doesn't know?

Absolutely not.  He's pulling your leg and the dollars out of your
wallet!  I have removed an engine from a 1977 Spit, and it was the
easiest one I have ever seen or done.  After everything is disconnected,
the motor mounts undone, and the bellhousing bolts undone, the engine
lifts right out of the car with plenty room to spare.  (I think I did
take the radiator out to facilitate removal.)  The transmission stays in
place very nicely.  This works vice versa, too, (after spending half the
weekend taking the trans out twice to fix the clutch problem in the race
car (Thanks for the help, Jim!)) and the engine stays in place very
nicely.

I would contest what your mechanic has done, and if he doesn't know any
better than that, get the car out of there NOW and go to someone who
REALLY knows Triumphs.

Hope this helps!

Keep Triumphing,
Susan Hensley    %)