Re: Battery Chargers ('Maintainers')

To: <DANMAS@aol.com>, <ewcorco@erenj.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Battery Chargers ('Maintainers')
From: "Vic Whitmore" <vicwhit@octonline.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 15:01:11 -0500
If you get a charger, make sure it is one of low current capacity (e.g. 2-4
amps). That is all you will need, and more, to maintain the charge. Too
much current will overcharge the battery and boil off the electrolyte. I
also recommend that you rotate one charger for each battery at about a week
per battery. You won't need to charge them all the time.
I have four marine batteries in my basement for the winter and I recharge
them only twice during the off season. There just is no need to when they
aren't connected to anything. In this mode, marine and regular car
batteries are the same. As Dan states, there is a big difference when it
comes to draining them though.
I'll likely leave my Spit's battery in place for the winter and stick the 2
Amp charger on it a couple of times during the winter.

Vic Whitmore
76 Triumph Spitfire
Thornhill, Ontario

----------
> From: DANMAS@aol.com
> To: ewcorco@erenj.com; triumphs@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: Battery Chargers ('Maintainers')
> Date: Tuesday, November 04, 1997 2:37 PM
>
> In a message dated 97-11-04 14:02:49 EST, ewcorco@erenj.com writes:
>
> > I'm considering keeping a couple of batteries from my three season
vehicles
> >  on a battery charger (or maintainer) through the winter.  Several
> >  questions: (1) is is worth the trouble in terms of preserving the
overall
> >  health of the battery? (2) any units out there that you would, or
would
> not
> >  recommend? (3) is it possible to keep more than one battery at a time
> >  hooked up to it?  (4) do you run them continuously, or periodically?
>
> Ned:
>
> Next time you are at the battery store, check out the marine batteries.
You