Right Turn on Red

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Right Turn on Red
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 16:34:18 -0500
Cc: James Charles Ruwaldt <jruwaldt@indiana.edu>, Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Andrew Mace wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, James Charles Ruwaldt wrote:

> > In fact, it's even possible in some places to turn left on red, provided
> > you're on a one-way street and turning onto another one-way street.  Of
> > course, I've never seen any signs indicating this.  You just have to know
> > where it's allowed.

> Jim, at least in New York, the only time you'll see signs is when such a
> turn on red is prohibited.

I read an article in AAA's magazine about a year back that
indicated that all 50 states now permit "right turn on red"
which also includes "left turn on red from one-way to one-way"
largely due to the Federal governments practice of withholding
highway funds to non-compliant states.  All the states decided
to comply.  Generally, the right turn is only permitted after
a full stop, but I seem to recall that Oregon legally permits
such a turn without stopping.

The one exception to the rule about "always legal unless
explicitly prohibited by a sign" is New York City, where
the turn on red is prohibited by city law unless explicitly
permitted.  This only applies to NYC "proper" -- the five
boroughs of Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx and
Staten Island.

--ken
VTR WWW Maintainer -- http://www.vtr.org
'70 & '74 TR6 Daily Drivers