Route 66

To: list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Route 66
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 1997 20:24:23 -0500
To: All Buzz and Todd wannabe's

The voyage from Chicago to Santa Monica via Route 66 is 2400 miles.  If we
set a goal of 300 miles per day it will take 8 days.   And 300 miles per
day means 5 - 6 hours on the road which leaves 4 - 6 hours for side trips
(highly recommended.)  Include 4 days for return travel and we are talking
less than a two week vacation here.  This is doable.  The California folks
will have to do 4 days of driving on the front end and the Chicago folks
will do it on the back end.  Those in the middle will do some on both ends.
 Those who don't live on the route will be required to do a bit more
commuting.

A group of Model T owners from California had their cars shipped to Chicago
(or St. Louis, I forget) and drove them back via route 66.  Now there's a
plan.

Now here is a dream trip:

Leg 1: Chicago to Santa Monica via Route 66.  Time: 2 weeks (Nice relaxed
pace, time to see the sights)
Leg2: Santa Monica to Seatle via Highway 1.  Time: 1 1/2 weeks
Leg 3: Retrace the path Lewis and Clark took back to St. Louis.  Time : 2
1/2 weeks

Total time: 6 weeks  Total miles: Who knows?  Probably 5000 or better.
Total cost:  If you have to ask you can't afford it.

When I retire ....

Dave Massey