Re: Car Lists

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Car Lists
From: "Jim Gambony" <gambony@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 09:52:05 PST
John,

As for the TR7, I currently have one being parted in my backyard because
the local import parts yard wouldn't "take" the car, even as a
"donation" because it would take valuable space in his yard. And yes, I
do have title for the car.  Evidently the last TR7 he took in the yard
sat for more than a year without any parts sold.  His suggestion was to
take it down directly to the scrap dealer, they might take it in.

Do I dare admit that I only bought the car for the Western Wheel turbine
wheels? (identical to the ones on my Spit autox car)  Didn't hurt that
it's a 5 speed!

Jim

John Peacock wrote:(snip)
 TR7 sold more than any other Triumph but where are they.  Don't tell me
in salvage yards either because I have checked almost everyone in FL and
there are hardly any there.

Sadly, the TR7 ariived on the scene just as junk yards were transforming
themselves into "auto recyclers"! Up until the mid '70's, junk yards
would get a car in, and it would stay there. I remember seing stacks of
'40's and 50's iron in every bone yard I visited in that time period. If
you see a car more than 15 years old in the yard today, it really stands
out.
Nowadays, as auto recyclers, they'll get a car in, let it be parted out
for maybe 18 months, then it's off to the crusher for the scrap metal
value. This generates cash flow, and frees up space in the yard for the
process to start over again.
And the TR7, which hit the bone yard real fast, it didn't have the
enthuisist following that the earlier TR's did. A car that was badly
built as the TR7 didn't inspire people to keep fixing it. It was more
likely hauled to the crusher after the head warped for the 2nd or 3rd
time. And, the TR7's compettion, the RX7, MR2, etc... had a level of
reliabilty that BL had no hope of matching.