FW: Jane's Emmissions

To: triumphs
Subject: FW: Jane's Emmissions
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 17:56:40 -0700 (MST)
[BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from [Tom Howard
<thoward@sdcoe.k12.ca.us>]]

     Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 09:42:01
     From: Tom Howard <thoward@sdcoe.k12.ca.us>
     Subject: Jane's  Emmissions

>>> Well folks, the GT6 failed emmissions again here in Colorado.  What would
>>> make it passable (under 1000 hydrocarbons) at 2500 rpms, and fail at idle
>>> (923ish rpms)?  I changed the spark plugs, and oil, added a quart of
marvel
>>> mystery oil, and blew out the air filters.  I would have had new air
>>> filters but the parts place is having operator error problems.  If anyone
>>> has any suggestions let me know.  Thanks, Jane

Change to Synthetic oil for emmisions tests.   It will reduce  HC's a lot.
(loose the MMO for the test)

Make certain that the engine ignition is set to spec even though it will
run better when somewhat more advanced.   The retard of the spec setting
will reduce emmisions at idle.

Run about 10% alcohol in the gas.  This will also lower emmisions.

Open up the spark plug gap to about .035"  Make certain that the coil and
such will hold the spark at this gap.  The larger spark will give better
ignition at idle.

Make sure that the engine is good and hot when checking.   Drive it 20 mile
on the way to the check station and don't let it sit there getting cold
while waiting your turn.  (hard to do sometimes, of course)

Thomas Howard