Re: Route 66

To: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Subject: Re: Route 66
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 14:54:15 +0500 (EST)
Cc: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
David Massey wrote:

> > Wow!  Just drove the section of old Route 66 from Kingman AZ to
> > Golden Shores (the California border)  What a drive....

Joe Curry commented:

> All you need now is a late 50's/early 60's Vette and a partner named
> George Maharis, then you'd have the entire package.  (If you are not at
> least 50, you may not understand this)

Who of us doesn't remember Buzz and Todd (later replaced by Linc)? OK, so
I'm old (44).

Joe, I live on Rt. 66, albeit only a State Route here in eastern (upstate)
New York, stretches of which have some wonderful banked "S" curves. This
road, too, obviously was laid out on old cowpaths or the like and likely
first paved as a thin concrete ribbon back in the 1920s or 1930s. Many is
the time I've strapped myself into a Triumph, popped a Nelson Riddle tape
into the cassette player (his theme music for the show makes for really
great driving music for those of us at that certain age and musical
taste), and drove the route.

Who needs a Corvette? :-)

--Andy