Re: TR3 or TR4?? Help!!

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR3 or TR4?? Help!!
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 23:02:03 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 25 Oct 1997, ron botting wrote:

>>They're different in feel partly because the TR4A - even a solid-axled one
>
> I thought the 4A was independant ?
>
>>- uses an entirely different chassis design.
>
>Thought the TR4 used the same frame as a TR2/3/3A ?

The TR4A was designed with an entirely new chassis as an IRS replacement
for the TR4.  However, the TR4A could also be ordered with a solid rear
axle to satisfy US dealers who were (wrongly) convinced that their
customers didn't want IRS.  These were the same dealers who were (wrongly)
convinced that their customers wouldn't accept the "sissified" original
TR4, resulting in the introduction of the TR3B several months _after_ the
TR4 was introduced.  The solid axle TR4A used the same chassis as the IRS
TR4A, but modified slightly to provide leaf spring mountings for the solid
axle.

The original TR4 chassis is basically a TR2/3/3A chassis with a slightly
wider track.  The TR4A chassis is _very_ different, and is the same basic
design used in later years for the TR5/250/6.

To _grossly_ oversimplify the evolution of the big TRs:

TR2   Original production model.
TR3   TR2 body on a slightly beefed up chassis.
TR3A  TR3 chassis with a slightly different body design.
TR4   Slightly modified TR3A chassis with an all new body design.
TR3B  TR3A chassis & body, most with TR4 engine & gearbox.
TR4A  TR4 body with an all new chassis design.
TR5   TR4A body & chassis with fuel injected 6-cylinder engine.
TR250 TR5 with carbs instead of FI.
TR6   TR5/TR250 engine & chassis with a new body design.

I'd better go put my flameproof suit on now...

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us