FW: Constructive Thread: Heads

To: triumphs
Subject: FW: Constructive Thread: Heads
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 16:05:15 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from ["William F.
Daehler" <"wdaehler@execpc.com"@execpc.com>]]

     Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 01:24:16 +1300
     From: "William F. Daehler" <"wdaehler@execpc.com"@execpc.com>
     Subject: Constructive Thread:  Heads

Today's work in the garage on the TR4 engine I reached a milestone.
I got the head off.  I broke a Craftsman socket wrench on the way to
getting the 10 head nuts loosened, but they all did come off, finally
using a pry bar with a 3/4" socket. Removing all the studs added another
night to the job, boy was that tedious.  The engine has been sitting on
the floor of the garage on the oil pan, and the exhaust manifold header
pipe remnant has been taking some of the weight. This weight, a
continous force, pried the head loose. All by itself, unintintional.  A
fortuitous accident. And what did the cylinders and wet liners look
like? Round, just like in the pictures.  The top of the pistons looked
black with swirls of carbon deposits.

I was suprised to see that each and every piston at the same height in
their cylinders.  I had this notion that they would be at all different
heights, at various stages in their cycles.  I have three possible
explainations for this.  1.  I have no idea how engines work.
2. There's something seriously wrong with this engine.  3.  By some
amazing coincidence this engine died at the magical place where all the
pistons are at the same height, some travelling up, others down.