Re: Question: Early Spitfire choke cable.

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, Creig & Kay Houghtaling <creigkay@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Question: Early Spitfire choke cable.
From: Peter Ficklin <pficklin@qnis.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 22:26:30 -0700
Creig wrote:

> Dear List,
> I have a '63 Spitfire (Mk. I).  The car does not have a choke cable.
> I ordered one and received it, but I am not sure it is correct.
> I was expecting a twin cable system like the one I have on my
> TR6 (one cable for each carb).  I received a single cable.  If
> this is incorrect I will need to return it.  If one is correct, then
> I will need a little information on how to make it work.
> Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me on this.
> Creig Houghtaling
> St. Louis, MO

Creig,
  I beleive (I'm not looking at the cars or manuals right now, so
correct me SOLer's if I mess up...) that there is a shaft between the
carbs that operates the chokes together, just as the throttle operates.
On the rear(?) carb there is a copper sleeve that the end of the choke
cable goes through to connect to the rear carb choke linkage.  This
linkage connects via a shaft to the front carb and therefore operates
the front carb choke simultaneously.  Confused?  Yeah, me too,
especially without pictures.  Good luck...

Peter Ficklin
'63 & '68 Spits