Re: GT6 heat control valve

To: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Subject: Re: GT6 heat control valve
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 08:12:31 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV wrote:

> Well, it was a little nippy here in the D.C. area yesterday morning, but when
> I turned on the heater in my GT6, the control valve started dripping, and onto
> the head, making some nice little steamy clouds.
>
> I presume it is necessary for me to cough up the $40 to replace it?  Is the
>installation
> straightforward?
>
> I find it curious that just as soon as the nice heating man repaired the
>furnace
> in my house, the GT6 developed this problem.  It must crave attention.
>
> --
> Martin Secrest
> 73 GT6
> 74 Spitfire

Marty,
I found that in some instances, the control valve can be "fixed" rather
than replaced.  Look and see if it is leaking around the edges of the
seam or if it is leaking out the ends.  If the former is true, you might
get away with pinching the clamping surfaces together with a vise-grip.
If it is leaking out the ends, the seal is probably gone.  It is a good
idea to turn on the heater periodically during the summer to keep fluid
flowing through the valve.  It keeps the seals from sticking to the
other surface.

Joe Curry   '63 Spit (currently doorless)