RE: Whining, good for nothing clutch!

To: "'William West'" <will_thane@email.msn.com>
Subject: RE: Whining, good for nothing clutch!
From: Chris Prugh <prubrew@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 04:01:24 -0700
Cc: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Will,

        Sorry to be so late responding...I have quite the backup of messages to
get thru, taking them in order.

        First off, don't belittle your mechanical skills so...you've gotten
through the worst of it just getting the interior bits out of your way and
removing the trans.

        The flywheel will come off fairly easily once the bolts have been
removed.  Sometimes a little resistance will be offered, as it is sort of a
tight tolerance fit on the end of the crank, but once that is broken
loose....WATCH OUT !  That sucker is surprisingly heavy and will come crashing
down.  Do this from underneath the car, allowing you to catch it with your
face, thus saving any damage to the ring teeth  ;)

Any good machine shop will be able to handle this.  I had a two step machining
done
last time,as there was significant scoring to the used flywheel I was adapting
for my O/D unit.
The clutch disk surface was taken down amost 15 thou. to remove the heavy
scraqtching, and
I had them take 15 from the plate mounting area as well.

As for the re-assembly technique, I have always just followed the manuals, but
I have
forwarded this message to the list for follow up commentary, which I'm sure we
will receive.

Keep going man...you're doing a MAH velous job !

Chris Prugh
72 Spitfar
Morgan Hill, CA