1978 Spitfire help needed!

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: 1978 Spitfire help needed!
From: "Hayes" <htjhayes@mysurf.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 21:54:49 -0700
Hi to all on the list!

Please excuse the length of this, I just need some answers I cannot figure
out myself!

I recently installed an oil pressure gauge to my 1978 Spit. I get readings
of around 70 when I
first start it up, then around 30-35 when hot. I can live these with
readings, but here is the problem:

When I brake hard at an intersection or round a long turn at high speed,
the oil pressure drops to nearly zero. I have checked the oil numerous
times and keep it right on the full mark. Its eaten the third rod bearing
before and I really would like to avoid an expensive and time consuming
rebuild again. Now I know there is a lack of baffles in the pan, but I
believe it should not drop so low as to damage the motor! Is there anyone
out there who has experienced this problem before and found a solution? Or
is it something I may have done wrong when rebuilding it? Any help on this
would be greatly appreciated.

Since a clutch transplant, I've been hearing some strange noises
occasionally from the area of the gearbox. It usually rattles only off and
on, but sometimes it does not stop. If I brake just right when coasting to
a stop in neutral, it goes away. It does not matter if my clutch is in or
out, or whether it is warm or cold. I suspect the throw-out bearing, which
I did not change with the clutch rebuild, (I know, I know.) Here is why: I
orded the three in one clutch kit for my model spitfire. The pressure
plate and disc fit fine, but my release bearing had a pin  to secure it,
but the one from Moss did not. Maybe I am mechanically inept, but I just
could not figure it out. By the way, I have an overdrive tranny if that
makes any difference. Is it possible that the clutch fork is from another
car, or is there a way to get the bearing on that I do not know about?

When I wind the motor up above 3500 in any gear I can hear a fairly loud
and rapid ticking noise from the engine or gearbox. It makes this noise
also when the motor revs down after depressing the clutch. It goes away
when I am on the gas but comes back under no-load conditions. Any ideas?
Could it be another release bearing symptom, or, god forbid, it dropped
its thrust washers? I could not detect any movement at the crank pulley
when the clutch was depressed by a friend, but you never know.

How hard is it to remove and replace the three bearings in the
differential? I have heard too many horror stories to try and do it
without any advice. Any tips on this operation would be great.

I got a chance to see a turbocharged rotary spitfire this past Sunday at
San Diego's QualJack stadium at an SCCA event. It pretty much whupped
everything out there including a Lotus Elan, a Dodge Viper, assorted
Porsches, numerous Miatas and, well everything else. It was a beautiful
sight!
also, I also got to see a nice souped-up red spit that ran some fast laps
and a yellow Tr-6 that really pulled some fast times.

Thanks in advance for all the help, please post to me personally or to the
list, I  have no preference, just need help fast!

                                        Josh Hayes out of S.D.
                                        htjhayes@mysurf.com

BTW, I had to run in that event with my brother's white Neon ACR, which
pulled slower laps than that little spit. I NEED my car fixed!!!!