Re: Triple SU's/FI

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwartz@encad.com>
Subject: Re: Triple SU's/FI
From: peb3@cornell.edu (Philip E. Barnes)
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 11:34:36 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Barry:
I can't argue with any of the points you raise. I think that the caution
that ought to be kept in mind with this, or any, modification is that in
doing one thing, one affects the neighboring system. Simply plopping a
third carb on a TR6, while cool looking, most likely will be disappointing
unless one pays attention to breathing as a whole. Higher lift, longer
duration cam and a good exhaust will certainly help realize a gain in
performance. A good port/polish job will improve things even further. While
it's apart, get the head milled. Where to stop? Obviously, after a while
you'll have a tightly-wound race motor that won't run below 4K RPM. I guess
that was what I was driving at when I asked to identify the goal of any
modification. One must also bear in mind that there is no single
modification that will give a huge gain in performance. (Wait a minute, how
about a NOS bottle in the trunk?) I agree that trying to adapt or design an
EFI system would be more a learning exercise than anything else, as simpler
paths to power are well-understood.

See ya,
--Phil