More carb fun....

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: More carb fun....
From: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@Pupress.Princeton.Edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 12:08:05 EST
>>rebuilt HS6's. They're quite beautiful, clean, polished and they
adjust to a beautiful, steady 900 rpm idle....

>>Once prodded, however, they don't seem to want to return to idle.
Well, they've been on and off the car three times now while I've tried
to center the throttle discs. Off the car they seem to work perfectly.
I've tried three different sets of discs...I tried a rather strong
spring.... I'm not OUT of ideas yet, tonight I'm going to pull 'em
again, triple check the carb body and hold 'em up to a light source to
check the alignment of the disc in the bore....

>>>Thanks for some of the answers folks....

And no, there's no leak around the shaft...

More questions:

1. I can see a TINY bit of light around the throttle disc (new) when
closed....has anyone else seen this...once again, the action seems
perfect....

2. The dashpots seem to work perfectly and the jets are centered...

3. Could the timing be off sufficiently to INCREASE the idle speed?
Too advanced? The vac advance seems to work fine and hold a vac. (no
leaks there) It was fine before....

The carb flanges seem nice and flat....the spacers are nice and
solid...the manifold face is clean and flat...the PCV pipe seems
solid....

Any and all input welcomed.....

"Still ride in triumph over all mischance..." - Shakespeare

Chris Lillja
TR4A
Norton Commando
Spit MKIV