Re: Spit-6 (from Florida) questions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spit-6 (from Florida) questions
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwartz@encad.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 06:46:39 -0700
Bob S. writes:
>Is there an easy way to tell if the car has GT6 front springs?
>Measure the length?
      <  snip  >
>get the motor serial number, but are there other (easy) ways to
>date the motor?
      <  snip  >
>I plan on measuring the brakes, but suspect there may be some other
>more subtle differences with the vertical links etc?
********************************
Bob,
To answer the first question, It HAS GT6 springs.  You couldn't possibly
use Spitfire springs, as they would end up bottoming out.  That 6 weighs
about 300 pounds more than the four it replaces, and that weight is mounted
even more forward, and almost all that weight is over the front end, not in
the middle as it would be in the cockpit.  The engine, if it's an early 6
will have exposed pushrod tubes (I believe), and the inlet and exhaust
manifold ports are all in line.  Later blocks/heads have the cast pushrod
tube area (flat no external steel pushrod tubes) and the exhaust ports are
mounted lower relative to the intake ports.  This is the easiest way to
tell if you have the later engine (besides the engine number) It's easy to
see by looking at the manifolds.  As far as the brakes, the simplest way is
to look at the vertical link, specifically the tie rod lever area.  The
Spitfires have a tie rod lever that uses the nut on the axle stud for
securing as well as another separate bolt to secure and the GT6 (among
others) use a tie rod lever that passes through a hole or slot in the
vertical link and uses the lower brake caliper adapter securing bolts/nuts
to attach them.  If it has the lever through the slot, then it has GT6
brakes (at least on the front).

Barry Schwartz in San Diego, CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6/5sp Spitfire ( daily driver )
70 GT6+ ( when I don't drive the Spitfire )
70 (sorta) Spitfire ( project )
73  Ford Courier ( parts hauler )