Re: TR-4A: Weak rear lights, ground runs?

To: John Cowan <jfcowan@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: TR-4A: Weak rear lights, ground runs?
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 13:59:37 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, John Cowan wrote:

>     The rear lights are weak on my TR-4A.  Also, the turn signal flasher
> clicks very slowly, and doesn't work at all when the headlights (which are
> halogen) are on.  The grounds to the body were bad on the front lights and
> I suspect similar problems at the rear.  Anyone know if the rear lights are
> grounded to the body or if there are wires that return the grounds to the
> front of the car?  Any other theories about this problem.  The battery is
> in good shape, but I might have voltage regulator problems and there is a
> "voltage stabilizer" in the circuit that I am unfamiliar with.

On my TR4, the rear lights are grounded through the casing of the chrome.
If you can, remove the entire assemble and remove all the guck and
corrosion that will have accumulated between the body and the chrome.  The
electrical connection is provided by the 4 mounting cap screws.  I had to
break all mine to get the tail light off.  For an added bonus, place a
jumper wire between the two "grounds".

My right-hand signal light would make the taillamps glow when operating.
I had to do up the screws holding the tail light assy. on.  As mentioned,
I also broke 'em all (later on) when removing fender, etc.

The voltage stabiliser is probably part of the gauge circuit.  It's
located in the passenger side foot well (right side...) and shouldn't have
anything at all to do with the signals :-)

The flasher won't work if there's not enough current draw to make the
mechanisms inside go.  Start by cleaning all the contacts so that they
shine on everything- light bulbs, flashers, switches, etc.  My signals
were also bad because of gunk on the switch contacts on the steering
column.  Remove the fascia and take a peek, you should see shiny stuff.
If not, find some emery cloth (or an eraser if you're worried) and clean
it up.

Good luck,
-Malcolm