Re: V-8's

To: dennisr@premier1.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: V-8's
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 00:07:34 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-10-12 22:53:03 EDT, dennisr@premier1.net writes:

> I know it borders on heresy, but I've been reading with great interest the
>  thread relating to stuffing a V-8 in a Spit. Why? Well, I've just about
>  convinced myself that this winter would be a great time to do that very
>  thing to my TR-4. I'm thinking about a small-block chevy. Are there any
>  other heretics out there who might have done such a thing? If so, what can
>  you offer in terms of transmission/rear-end, other problems, etc.

Dennis:

Yes, Yes, Yes, do it!! do it!!! do it!!

For some ideas, check out these web pages:

Ford powered TR4:  http://www.sky.net/~boballen/mg/TR4rd/index.html

Ford powered TR6:  http://www.sky.net/~boballen/mg/Masters/

There is at least one other Ford powered TR6 with photos on the net, but I
don't have the URL. When I get it, I'll send it to you. The owner's name is
Mike, and his e-mail address is Quaterium@aol.com. I'm sure he would be more
than willing to share his ideas with you. Both he and the owner of the TR4,
Jay Smith, have done a super nice job of the conversion. Mine is still under
construction, but I'm striving to match their quality.

I also know of a TR250 with a Ford 302, but I don't know the owners name, and
he is not on the 'net.

There are at least a dozen others out there that I have heard about but never
seen. If that is heresy, you are not alone. If you do it right, the results
can be spectacular, without detracting from the character of the car at all.

Why a Ford rather than a Chevy? The biggest reasons are weight and width. The
Ford weighs about 90 -100 pounds less than the Chevy, and is about 2 inches
narrower. Both are very important parameters in a Triumph installation.

In a separate e-maiI I am sending you a fairly detailed account of the
problems and solutions I have found in the course of my own conversion. It's
far too lengthy, and of far too little interest, to post to the group.

Go for it!

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74