Re: Painting TR250 Frame/Miracle Paint vs POR 15

To: "\"Mr. Mike\" Passaretti" <passaretti@sol.med.ge.com>
Subject: Re: Painting TR250 Frame/Miracle Paint vs POR 15
From: Glenn Franco <gfranco@provide.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 23:25:49 +0100
Cc: George Richardson <gprtech@ix.netcom.com>, JoeSimcoe@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
"Mr. Mike" Passaretti wrote:

>     Glenn> I used Bill Hirsh miracle paint on my 74 frame. I
>     Glenn> really didn't care for the result. Make sure you
>     Glenn> are down to a bare metal surface after sandblasting
>     Glenn> and prep it with a good metal prep.
>
>     Glenn> My experience was that it didn't stick to primed
>     Glenn> surfaces (this frame was repaired by me and sat
>     Glenn> covered for two years and then spot reblasted). The
>     Glenn> stuff is as thin as water, runs all over and is
>     Glenn> hard to get good coverage. When your done it still
>     Glenn> looks like S@#% and you need to spot spray with
>     Glenn> paint anyway.
>
>     Glenn> I complained to Bill and after he said I was full
>     Glenn> of S@#% he sent me a free quart to try again.
>
> Well, if this is POR-15 you're talking about, I'm not
> surprised that it didn't stick to primer.  It says right in
> the instructions that it only sticks to rusted metal and
> Metal-Prep'ed metal.  And it's not a top coat, so I don't
> really know what kind of finish you're expecting.
>
>                                                         -MM
--------------------------
Mr. Mike

Please read below

 JoeSimcoe@aol.com wrote:

> > I am about to paint my TR250 frame with Bill Hirsch's Miracle paint.  The
> > hard black stuff that is supposed to inhibit rust.
> >
> > ANY COMMENTS - SUGGESTIONS -  IDEAS
> >
> > Thanks,
> > JoeSimcoe
> > (please respond directly to me as I am on the Digest - then c.c. the list)
------------------

If you can read and comprehend what you read, he is asking about Bill
Hirsh Miracle Paint.
and not POR 15.

We on the list learn alot from each other. Yes Miracle paint and POR
work in the same fashion but are not the same nor are they manufactured
by the same company.

I can read directions, and have been doing frame off restorations for
better that 30 years.  I think I can comment and provide my view on the
product.

The POR jobs I have seen have turned out much better than my experience
with miracle paint. I picked up some of Bill Hirsh's products at last
years Hershey Pa. meet and one of Bill's immediate staff or it was Bill
himself said it would stick to a scuffed primer surface.
I do have another quart and some exhaust paint and will try them both.

I also generally restore vehicles as drivers and not show only vehicles.
I only painted one frame without sandblasting and really didn't like the
outcome.

Miracle Paint is runny drippy stuff. If you can't live with that hit the
delete button!!!!

Glenn Franco

71 & 74 TR6's and various TR6 parts mobiles