Re: TR6 door trim panels

To: Lex Garey <LGarey@mail.dot.state.nc.us>
Subject: Re: TR6 door trim panels
From: Robert J Carley <rcarley@uoguelph.ca>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 10:26:04 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Fri, 10 Oct 1997, Lex Garey wrote:

> I'm working on my TR6 doors (still), and have just replaced the door
> panels.  Now, I have 2 screws for each door (with washers and caps)
> which supposedly screw into the door (through the panel) at each end of
> the top of the pocket.   Do these just go on the top edge of the pocket,
> over each end of the elastic band, and remain exposed?  I suppose they
> do, since they have the caps to cover and hide them.  This would also
> help hold the elastic and maybe keep it from stretching so much.  The only
> other possibility I could think of was for them to go thru the door panel (as
> above),  but to be  -under-  the elastic band.
> Thanks    -     Lex Garey, Shelby, NC    '74 TR6

I just re-did my doors (inside and out).  The screws you mention provide
support to the stretch panel on the door, and also help to hold the door
panels onto the door itself.  They go through the vinyl, the elastic, the
press board and the metal inner door panel, and the heads are covered with
the metal caps.

It takes a little doing to line up the new screw holes in the vinyl panel
with the old screw holes in the door.  I placed two screws in the
old screw holes facing out from the inner metal door panel, put some
marking compound on the ends, and then carefully held the vinyl door panel
onto the door.  With these markings on the inside of the vinyl door panel
(on the press board material), I was able to locate where to drill.

Of course, you can drill new holes if you want, but I assumed the original
holes were in that location for a good reason, and matched the new screw
holes.

Robert Carley
73 TR6
Ontario, Canada