Re: "gutless diesel Spits"

To: "Tom O'Malley" <tomomalley@hey.net>
Subject: Re: "gutless diesel Spits"
From: SUCHAK <suchak@mediaone.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 23:31:42 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Tom O'Malley wrote:

> But the Daimler V8...now *that's* interesting.  Massive chrome valve
> covers with the spark plugs centrally positioned, it has all the
> trappings of a 3/5 scale, mighty Mopar Firedome.  Designed by a former
> Triumph engineer, it almost seems right.  Okay...it was a former
> Triumph *motorcycle* engineer...close enough. :-)

A beautiful engine indeed!  I had a chance to examine a Daimler SP 250
race car in the paddock at Daytona last weekend.  The valve covers are
massive, and look even bigger in the context of the small car.  When I
first stumbled on it I thought it was a hemi or something, with the
plugs in the middle of the covers.  It sounded really good in it's race,
until the motor apparently went south.  (Seems he'd been having an
overheating problem for a while, according to his wife.)  Can you say
"expensive rebuild"????  A friggin Daimler?!?!?

Maybe he could just stick a nice small block in there.....   ;-)

John
--
Come see us on the Web!
http://www.jacksonville.se.mediaone.net/~suchak/home.htm