Re: More dumb spit questions

To: Martin Wilson <martinw@fmc.gov>
Subject: Re: More dumb spit questions
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 11:31:35 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Martin Wilson wrote:

> This must be dumb spitfire questions day!! By another martin at that!!
>
> Background--After I drove the 78 spitfire over the weekend, I noticed a
> small bit of differential fluid has seeped out of the "stub" axle area.
> Looking at it I noticed one of the four bolts (allen wrench head?) holding
> the seal plate on was missing. I have a replacement bolt for that, but ...
> if after I replace the bolt and if that doesn't stop the leak, I will most
> likely replace the seal. Question-- to pull the stub axle from the diff, do I
> undo the four bolts on the plate and the stub axle just pulls out of the
> gears or is there something more to it? also, is there a gasket between
> the plate and the diff housing I will need to order ( the top 3 parts
> cataloges don't show one)  finally, is there anything should be aware of
> when replacing the seal.
>
> TIA
> marty wilson
> 78 spit

Marty,
Get ready to take the assembly to a machine shop to have the bearings
removed when you replace the seal.  I have never been able to get them
off without the help of a press.

There are seals similar to those on wheel bearings behind the bearings
themselves, no gasket per se.

Are you sure the oil is coming from the axle shaft and not from the
oinion seal?  That is usually the one that first starts leaking.

Joe  '63 Spit