Re: V-8 Spit???

To: curry@wolfenet.com, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
Subject: Re: V-8 Spit???
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 14:07:16 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 97-10-08 12:20:13 EDT, curry@wolfenet.com writes:

> There seems to be a lot of talk going around regarding cramming V-8's in
>  Spits.  Here's my take on that.
>
>  1.  If you simply want more HP, consider a V6 rather than a V8.  The
>  reason is that in all the cases I have seen in the past 35 years where
>  people have undertaken such a project, they have been stifled by the
>  problem of what to do about the interference of the steering shaft.
>  Most cut it into pieces and link it back together with U-Joints.  Do you
>  know what that does to the sharpness of the steering????

Joe:

If you use the correct u-joints, there is precious little impact on the
crispness of steering. Street Rodders quite commonly use them, in multiples,
with no ill effect. But I agree, the steering can be - and usually is - the
biggest problem of the entire swap. I am using Borgenson u-joints in my
project. The car is not on the road yet, but so far, I can't see any
difference at all compared to stock, either in the amount of play or the
smoothness of operation. The TR6 uses two u-joints, from the factory.

>  2.  The other main consideration is the weight.  Spit suspension was
>  not designed to handle the extra weight, nor were the brakes.

If you use the aluminum engine, such as the BOP/Rover, there is no additional
weight - in fact, it most likely will weigh less. Besides, if you are going
to all that trouble to swap out the engine, I would think you would want to
go all out, and up-grade the chassis and the brakes as well.

>  With the V-6 option, you get less weight and because all the V-6's I
>  have studied are built on a 60 degree slant (90 degrees for V-8's) most
>  of the engine is kept closer to the center, helping to ease restrictions
>  of the steering.

Most of the V6 engines still in production (domestic) are of the 90 degree
variety. The 2.8L Chevy being the most common 60 degree type, as well as some
of the Ford engines used in such cars as the Capri.  There is a performance
penalty associated with the 60 degree engines, in that the intake manifold
mating surfaces with the heads are so close together, it is difficult to
provide adequate intake performance. Also, most of the 60 degree engines are
of a smaller displacement than the 90 degree type, eg, 2.8L vs 3.8L.

>  The Buick Park Avenue's built in the mid-late 80's (and possibly still)
>  have an 3.1L (I think) V-6 with Port injection and lots of chrome.  This
>  engine would look so cool in the engine compartment of a Spit.

The Buick engines are all of the 90 degree type. This is the same engine
block, basically, as that used in the Indy racers of a while back. If I'm not
mistaken, Indy was won by a Buick V6 powered car once. There is a vast amount
of performance parts available for this engine, rivaled in quanity only by
the Chevy small block and the Ford 5.0. I have a Buick V6 in my workshop, and
it is about 2 inches wider than the Ford 302 that I am putting into my '71
TR6. (just for the record, The Ford engine/transmission weighs about 25
pounds less than the stock TR6 engine/transmission)

Never-the-less, I agree wholeheartedly with you, that a 60 degree V6 would
make a much neater, and extremely easier, swap than a V8, and should still
give a real performance boost.

Of course, you have to understand that I am more than a bit biased towards
the V8s. Being somewhat vertically challenged, I have to compensate
somewhere!

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74