Funny Thing Happened Saturday

To: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Funny Thing Happened Saturday
From: Bill Munts <muntsb@hiwaay.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 08:18:15 -0500
This past Saturday a local town had a Street Festival.  As part of this
festival they decided to have a car show and asked all the local clubs if they
could provide some cars for the show.  Our local Brit club president called me
and asked if I would put my Spitfire in the show.  I was very hesitant because
I planned to race on Sunday and besides my car is not a show car, but I went
ahead and put my car in the show to support the festivale.  The show was
devided into two classes, foreign and domestic.  The foreign class was made up
of a couple MG's, a couple Sunbeam Tigers, my Spitfire, a Lotus Esprit, and a
bunch of cars from the local Porche club.  As I pulled up I noticed the Porche
guys cleaning the treads on there tires....I didn't even get a chance to vacuum
the inside of my car but it didn't matter to me.  The judging of the show was
by popular choice so it was obvious that the winners would come from the Porche
club for foriegn, and the Viper club (there were four!) for domestic.

At the end of the show I was planning to leave before the awards but I couldn't
get my car out so I waited.  In the foriegn class Honorable Mention went to a
Porche 911, Second went to a Porche 350 Turbo, and then the presenter said the
"First place in foreign goes to a 1970 Triumph Spitfire Mk3".....I didn't
realize that  was me for a few seconds...then I about died.  As I tried to
figure out were in my little car I was going to put this 2 1/2' trophy (it
ended up riding high in the passenger seat) a lot of people came by and said
they voted for my car.  What I found was that all of these people had some
experience in thier past with a Triumph.  I felt very good...not to win so much
but to bring back some memories for some good folks.

Thanks for reading.....I just wanted to share an experience that makes me feel
good about our hobby....people do appreciate the effort we all put into keeping
our cars on the road.  BTW, in order for me to leave after the show I had to
drive right through the middle of the Porche club.....it was the only way
out...really :-).

Bill M.
'70 Mk3 Spitfire
Huntsville, AL