Re: refitting windshield

To: "jason weisler" <scottw@megsinet.net>, "Todd W. Sigety" <toddsig@worldnet.att.net>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: refitting windshield
From: "Mark A. Erickson" <mlazye@northvalley.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 22:01:33 -0700
I've never had the opportunity to do a TR-6, but I've worked in a class
shop for 15 years. If the gasket has two slots, one thick for the glass and
one thin for the pinchrail, read on.

First and most important DO NOT USE WIRE, this may cut the rubber like a
hot knife. Now that the wire is back on the shelf, find a piece of rope
(1/8 to1/4in is fine) that will wrap all the way around and still leave two
pigtails. Start with the center of the rope and the top center of the
windscreen, push the rope into the pinchrail slot leaving two pigtails
(long enough to grab) at the bottom center of the windscreen. OOPS, the
gasket should already be on the windscreen. Put some lubrication on the
rope and into the slot (soap works or my favorite ARNORALL, also good for
removing rusty nuts and bolts). Next set the windscreen and gasket onto the
bottom pinchrail with the pigtails toward the inside. Pull the pigtails
straight out towards you slowly, stopping every now and then to slap the
windscreen in a downward motion (burping). This forces the gasket down and
over the pinchrail. If any portion of the gasket does not lip over the
pinchrail, stop and use a hook tool (a cotterpin removing tool from Sears
with the end blunted so as not to rip the rubber) to lip over the gasket.
Stop when you reach the bottom corners. Next do one corner at a time.
Slowly pull the rope toward you at the corner as you burp the windscreen,
do the other corner. Then the sides. Now do the top corners, then the top,
making sure that the gasket is lipped over at all times. When the rope is
out, burp the windscreen a couple of times to do the final set. Your job is
done, put away your tools, fire-up that badboy, drive to your local PUB and
have two beers (one for you and one for me).

Mark