[Fwd: Re: weird stuff in my oil]

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Fwd: Re: weird stuff in my oil]
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 1997 18:20:28 -0700
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 1997 18:14:45 -0700
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
CC: triumps@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: weird stuff in my oil

Peter Zaborski wrote:

> I have just noticed something quite strange about my engine oil. The
> disptick seems to bring up a cloudy white liquid in addition to the
> Castrol 20w50 it normally sits in. I have no idea what this could be.
> Here is some background...
>
> I just installed a spin-on filter adapter and am using the NAPA filter
> made by Wix. (BTW the adapter seems to fit ok with no leaks, I used the
> small inner o-ring). Once I installed the adapter I put in brand new
> oil.
>
> I have also just rebuilt my fuel pump. This may be significant in that I
> removed the metal fuel line which runs from the pump to the carbs around
> the front of the engine. This line is attached to the front of the
> engine by a bracket which is held in place by one of the bolts which
> attaches the water pump housing to the engine. Since I re-assembled the
> fuel pump four times due to problems with the rebuild kit, I also
> loosened the bolt holding this bracket four times. The last time I
> noticed coolant leaking out from the junction between the water pump
> housing and the engine.
>
> Could it be coolant from the loosened water pump housing that has
> entered my oil? I would rather it is this than a blown head gasket! How
> can I determine what the foreign substance in my oil is and if it is
> coolant, what should I do?
>
> (I did not replace the gasket between the water pump housing and the
> engine because I only loosened one of the bolts, so I did not think it
> was necessary).
>
> I sure hope this is not too serious! Thanks as usual for any advice.
>
> Peter Zaborski
> 76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
> Calgary AB Canada

Peter,
The obvious answer to a cloudy white emulsion on your dipstick is water
in the oil.

The big question is how did it get there.   There are a number of
possible answers.

1. Anytime you open up the water and/or oil systems to install something
you may get some coolant in the oil.

2.  It could be a blown head gasket.

3.  It could be a leaky water pump.

4. Etc. Etc.

You need to determine whether it is still leaking or did you just get
a small amount of coolant in the oil system.

Most garages have a tool that fits on the radiator filler that allows
the cooling system to be pressurized to see if it is leaking.  THat will
tell you if it currently is leaking.

If not, all you need to do is purge the oil system.  This means getting
the engine hop and allowing the oil/water to be emulsified.  While it is
still hot, drain the oil.  (jack the car up on the wheel furtherest away
from the drain plug to get all the oil out.)  If you have an oil cooler,
take it off and drain it.  Replace the filter.

Also, take the valve cover off because you probably have some of the
gooey emulsion sticking to the top of the valve cover.  Clean it up and
re-install it.  That should fix the problem.

If the leak test indicates a real coolant leak into the oil system,
the real fun starts.  You have to check the above possibilities until
you find the trouble.

Joe Curry  63 Spit