Re: To hot TR-6

To: Michael Cline <mcline@c4.com>
Subject: Re: To hot TR-6
From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 1997 10:42:38 +0100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Michael Cline wrote:

> I need some helpful suggestions. My 1971 TR-6 engine was just fully
> rebuilt. It started right up bringing me great joy!! Them the
> temperature just kept climbing and climbing. It is running way to hot. I
> took out the thermostat. Water is circulating as all hoses are hot. The
> radiator was flushedand tested. I am very frustrated. I will check the
> valve adjustments again and I will open up the mixture screws on the
> carb. Could it just be running extreemly rich and overheating?? Any
> suggestions from the list

Mike: Rule no.1 of LBC's: The gauges are just a suggestion! Your actual
reading will vary! Did the car boil over and the oil pressure start to
drop fast? These are sure signs of a real overheated engine.
Before you drive yourself nuts, check that stupid transformer that
supplies the 10V to your temp. and gas gauges. I guess Lucas engineer's
had a hard time dividing by 12! I had this part go bad on my TIger-the
temp gauge would peg itself, but car never boiled over. I rigged a
mechanical temp gauge, and it was reading 25d. lower than the one in the
dash. Replacing the transformer cured the problem.