Herald/Spitfire Clutch Fork

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Herald/Spitfire Clutch Fork
From: Bill Kelly <kelly@dss.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 23:03:29 -0400
Can anybody help? I'm trying to find a replacement clutch fork for my
'62 Herald. It's the lever that mounts in the bell housing, holds the
throwout bearing and gets pushed in by the slave cylinder. The part
number is 207907, and it's also used on early Spitfires that have the
coil-type clutch.

This normally indestructable part was damaged by the third rate mechanic
who replaced the clutch in (I hate to admit this) 1972. He apparently
couldn't push either pin out to release the original throwout bearing,
so he filed the bottom one out, and replaced it with a cotter pin (if
you've changed a Spitfire clutch recently you'll know what I'm talking
about). The same moron apparently put the new clutch in without benefit
of alignment tool, as it's made a noise ever since, which I now know was
caused by the trashed input shaft needle bearing I found when I rebuilt
in the gearbox.

Please respond directly if you've got a spare, and save me from another
bodge!

Bill Kelly
'62 Herald, in restoration since 11/96
I want my car back!