Re: paint questions

To: "Shane F. Ingate" <ingate@shiseis.com>
Subject: Re: paint questions
From: stu.jo@ibm.net
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 17:35:52 -0700
Cc: peterz@merak.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Shane F. Ingate wrote:

> Peter Zaborski wrote:
>         > I would really appreciate any tips on painting from those who
>         > have been there.
>
> Peter,
>         I, like you, are looking around for a "non-concourse" paint
> job to restore my red '74 TR6 to its original Carmine.  I've pounded
> the pavement getting quotes (from 4 shops here in San Diego), etc,
> so here are my (brief) findings to date:
>
> 1) A good quality "back to the metal" but not frame-off paint
>    job will set you back $2-$3K.  This assumes that only a minimal
>    amount of bodywork needs to be done (ie straightening, filling,
>    etc).  Bodywork can escalate these prices considerably, perhaps
>    even doubling the price.
>
> 2) Preparation is everything!  Painting is simple and cheap!
>    A concourse paint job involves many layers of paint with sanding
>    between coats.  This is expensive!  For a driver, stick with
>    a simple single coat over a very-well prepared surface, it will
>    probably outlast our old cars with correct care.
>
> 3) If you strip parts off the car yourself, then have it painted
>    and bolt the stuff back on, that is a big saving.  The price of the
>    above job will possibly drop to $1500 (again, assuming minimal body
>    work).  How many parts to remove?  Keep going until you are sick
>    of it!
>
> 4) Stripping the paint to bare metal is done with
>    aircraft-industry-quality chemical paint stripper.  The cost of
>    the stripper is about $100, and a paint shop will spend 10 hours.
>    If you do this yourself, there is a saving of perhaps another $600.
>    One plan is to have a "stripping party" ;)  Invite your mates
>    around for beer and pizza, paint the stripper on, let it do its
>    stuff then scrape it off.  Once its stripped, then you will see
>    how much bodywork it needs.  Do it in a well-ventilated place too!
>    I've been told sanding is a no-go except for a inexpensive
>    paint-over-paint jobs; any problems with the underneath paint will
>    eventually come through the new paint.  There is also a trick here
>    to mask off some areas prior to stripping, usually the gutters
>    around the hood and bonnet.
>
> 5) At this stage, we are looking at a hi-quality paint job for
>    less than $1K.  This is usually a "2-pack" job, with a coat
>    of clear over the paint.  Then you have to CAREFULLY retrim the
>    car!  Depending upon your endurance and threshold of pain,
>    this may be your last $1000 paint job.  To me, it is worth trying
>    at least once.
>
> 6) And a final warning; many folk are afraid to drive their newly
>    recoated cars, and spend more time in the garage than they did
>    before.  This is poor showing, so you have to resist your
>    nervousness and drive it more!
>
> I look forward to hearing of the REAL experiences of others on the
> list.
>
>         Shane Ingate "wannabee painted" in San Diego
Shane, I stripped our TR6 with stripper, took a hell of a lot longer
than ten hours, more like 100. I had lacquer on enamel on lacquer on
enamel!The lacquer goes slimy, it was an awful job.My car needed no
bodywork and I paid $1000 in CA for a Cadilac slightly metallic carmine(
6 coats) plus three clearcoats. 6 years later it is unmarked, and I do
drive the car.