Coil Spring Color Codes

To: Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Coil Spring Color Codes
From: Tomislav Marincic <74137.3420@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 10:10:50 -0400
        Triumphisti,

        Does anyone here know what the significance of the color codes used
by coil spring manufacturers is? I'm replacing the sagging original (?)
rear springs on my TR250. At the same time, I plan to go to the late-TR6
trailing arm bracket configuration, so I ordered late-TR6 stock springs
(TRF 216275). They have a free length of 11 1/2", which an earlier thread
indicated was correct for the later cars. (TRF no longer stocks the earlier
spring, 214293, which was supposed to have a free length of 10
1/8"according to this same thread.)

        The springs have a paint code of red and green, but in "six-tech",
Len Renkenberger says that either the yellow/white or green/white give
proper ride height and decent rides. The yellow/white is a mild competition
spring, and I don't want that since most of my driving is on bumpy country
roads. Interestigly enough, if you order the earlier spring for your
pre-'72 car, TRF sends you the later spring automatically. I wonder how
that works?

        Can anyone explain these codes, and does anyone have experience
with the red/green spring in a later (mid-1972 TR6 or later) car?

        Best Regards,

        Tom Marincic