Re: New Spit Owner

To: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Subject: Re: New Spit Owner
From: SUCHAK <suchak@mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 13:11:00 -0400
Cc: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Paul Burr wrote:

> > =============
>  Paul: I might be worth your time to fire it up and do some diagnostics.
> Here's why. Many moons ago, I checked out and bought an Alpine to use
> for parts in restoring my Tiger. The owner was a fresh out of college
> kid who had just had a clutch installed in the car before driving home
> to RI from Maryland. The car developed what he called a bad rod knock,
> so he decided to dump the car. I got it for $250, not caring if it ran
> or not. The body was rot free, and I extracted many trim parts a 4
> almost new Konis, which retail for more than I paid for the car.
> Here's were you come in: a friend came over with one of his buddies to
> check on my progress. The aformentioned gentleman was retired after many
> years as a regional service rep for Chrysler. He's forgotten more about
> cars than I'll ever learn.
> I gave him the story on the car. He said "Put a battery in and start it
> up, I want to hear it run" We did, it fired and sounded like rocks in a
> washing machine. "Rev her up to 3000 rpm" was his request. The motor
> stopped knocking! Shut it off, and he pronounced "The flywheels loose!"
> OK, next day I dropped the tranny, and I'll be damned, the flywheel
> bolts were finger tight! Whoever did the clutch had removed and
> resurfaced the flywheel and forgotten to torque the bolts! Tightend it
> up, put it back toghether, and the car ran quiet and smooth! Best part
> is, I sold what was left of the car for $650! So, check it out before
> you toss it out!

I agree...  You're not going to hurt anything by firing it up to have a
look for yourself.  I've bought several mis-diagnosed cars at bargain
prices, and have learned *not* to trust a diagnosis from a potentially
DPO.  Examples? My 69 Riviera, BAD miss and stumble, bought it, rebuilt
the Q-jet, replaced all of the ignition bits and realized that the guy
had two plug wires swapped.  And then there was my 71 Karmann Ghia that
"needed a thousand dollars worth of brake work"..  (As if, right?!?)
Twenty dollars worth of caliper rebuild kits and I drove it for years.
Just a greedy garage man trying to gouge the idiot kid who didn't know
better.

I say crank it up!

John

--