RE: Rubbing compound, paste wax: How to apply?

To: "John Cowan" <jfcowan@earthlink.net> (Return requested)
Subject: RE: Rubbing compound, paste wax: How to apply?
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 05 Sep 1997 08:22:05 -0700
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 0486E3410239D01C-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 05 Sep 1997 08:22:05 -0700
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 05 Sep 1997 08:22:05 -0700
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <0486E3410239D01C*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
John Cowan
Anyone have a suggestion of how to apply rubbing compound or paste wax to a
car, other than sheer elbow grease?  I can't believe auto detailers can
make money taking that route.  Could one use an electric drill with
appropriate attachment or some other ingenious small appliance, unknown to
me?
================
John - I used to detail cars for a living while in college.  Ever heard of
a random orbit buffer?  It looks like a right angle grinder (although the
new ones look more like a mushroom with a couple of handles on either side)
with a big lambs wool pad that applies the wax, compound, etc. and another
pad that removes it.

Very efficient.  Also very dangerous if held the wrong way, to both the
operator and the vehicle.  You can "burn" the paint right off a $90,000
Porsche before you can say "boo" if not careful.  You can also wrench your
arm right out of its shoulder socket too.  Like everything else, practice
first before using it on something valuable, like your LBC.  If yo want, I
can e-mail you directly off the list with a lengthy recommended procedure
for detailing paint, chrome, etc.  It's my method and others may and do
have different methods.

Ross D. Vincenti
Asst. General Counsel/Asst. Sec'ty.
Transamerica Home Loan - Legal Dept.