Re: tr-6 oil filter adapter

To: Gary Nafziger <naffy@netins.net>
Subject: Re: tr-6 oil filter adapter
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 10:27:17 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Gary Nafziger wrote:

> I installed the spin on adapter, put on the new filter earlier
> this spring. I just recently changed the filter again and found
> that the filter had been jammed against the slave cylinder
> enough to put a small dent in it.  (was wondering how long this
> would take to rub through)

> Has anyone else had this clearance problem?  I bushed up one end
> of the slave cylinder, which tipped it a little, enough to move
> the offending corner away from the filter.  I wondered if I had
> missed a part or something in the installation.  Thanks.

I have found that tipping the spin-on oil filter about
10-15 degrees towards the front of the car aids in clearance
some.  I'm confused, however, as to how the filter could
have been jammed against the slave cylinder, unless this
happened during installation.  If both the spin-on filter
and slave cylinder are tightly attached, there shouldn't be
anything allowing them to move relative to one another to
jam together -- they are both hooked to the engine, so play
in the motor mounts shouldn't even affect this.

On the other hand, I have heard of dents in the spin-on
oil filter from banging against the frame, due to old (soft)
engine mounts.

--ken
'70 & '74 TR6 Daily Drivers (1 w/spin-on, 1 w/standard filter,
                             and spin-on backordered...)

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com
Sanders, PTP2-A001          |