Re: Changing transmissions in a TR6 <33D222B2.7C9D@usc.edu>

To: "Douglas E. Shook" <dshook@usc.edu>
Subject: Re: Changing transmissions in a TR6 <33D222B2.7C9D@usc.edu>
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 14:43:40 PDT
Cc: Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, kerch@parc.xerox.com
>>>"Douglas E. Shook" said:
 > Next weekend I am going to swap out the transmission in my TR6.  I was
 > curious as to whether it is easier/faster to pull the engine and
 > transmission out together or separately.

Don't pull the engine at all!  Put the top down, take out the seats, carpets
and transmission
tunnel covers.  Undo the prop shaft.  Support the rear of the engine on a jack
with a piece of wood to spread the load.  UNdo the clutch clevis pin and
disconnect the reverse lamp wires.  (and overdrive wires if you have them.
UNdo the rear tranny mount bolts and the bell-housing-to engine bolts, slide
the trans back a few inches and haul it out of the car.  (two folks
recommended for this last step.

Reassembly is the reverse of the above.

  --berry

Berry Kercheval :: kerch@parc.xerox.com :: Xerox Palo Alto Research Center