Re: Opinions?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Opinions?
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwartz@encad.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 12:10:40 -0700
Scott writes:
>I will be purchasing a GT6 very soon to replace my (sniff) old Mk. 1.  In
the collective HO's of the list, which of the years have the best parts
availability, hot rod potential, handling, etc?  My old '68 was fine, but
could not hold a candle to some built GT6+'s out there.   <snip>
*************************
Well, you pretty much narrowed it down yourself.  If parts availability and
reliability is your main concern, than your only real choice is a MKIII.
The rear end's are pretty much the same throughout the GT6 range, but the
tranny's and engines are slightly different.  The (marginally stronger)
trannys from 71 0n have the bigger synchros, and different gears and input
shafts.  The engines changed with the MKII's basically incorporating the
cylinder head (and block) of the TR6.  Parts for the 70 will be the hardest
to obtain, (trim items) as many of these are particular to that model year.
 However, if your not keen on the later look's that get a MKII if you can
find one - As you might have guessed, I’m partial to the 70 MKII's myself :-)

Barry Schwartz in San Diego, CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6/5sp Spitfire ( daily driver )
70 GT6+ ( when I don't drive the Spitfire )
70 (sorta) Spitfire ( project )
73  Ford Courier ( parts hauler )