Re: Valve Lash question

To: triumph listserv <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Valve Lash question
From: Roger Helman <rogerh@digimation.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 11:50:14 -0500
Scott Paisley wrote:

> I was wondering about the importance of valve lash on higher
> performance cams.  The cam I choose has a valve lash of
> .015 intake and .018 exhaust.  These seem to be excessively
> large numbers.  Are these to change the timing of the valves
> ever so slightly?  I would guess the longer duration on the
> exhuast is to allow it to cool more.  I really don't like
> the clatter of the valve train, and feel it can't be good for
> the long run.  I talked to an engine builder who uses this
> cam and he says that I can tighten the valves up a bit.
>
> Can someone provide some insight on valve lash?
>
> -Scotty '75TR6

    Scott thanks for posting. I was wondering about this myself. My new
Crane Cam has very similar value lash.  Guess I will see how loud the
clacking is this weekend when I finally get to fire her up again.

--
Roger Helman                  71 TR6 CC67866L
Digimation Inc.               http://deepthought.digimation.com/rogerh/