Re: Triumph longevity

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Triumph longevity
From: peb3@cornell.edu (Philip E. Barnes)
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 08:53:45 -0400
Cc: jruwaldt@indiana.edu
Jim:
If you take a step back and think about how cars have changed over the
years and why, you'll find that there is no good answer to your question.
Triumphs in general are very simple cars that were designed around systems
that existed 40 years ago. In some respects they were over-designed, so
that most mechanical parts will last forever with routine maintainance.
Here's the catch: Routine in 1965 or 1970 is very different from routine
today. Look in the manual for service intervals on your TR6 and you'll find
that a great deal of lube and adjust work is required. To some people this
is just needless fiddling. Neglect some of this work long enough and you
become a DPO. Spend the time to perform the simple tasks and the car will
run trouble-free. Compare this kind of work to what is required on a new
car: plugs every 30K, oil/filter every 7.5K, no "tune-up" 'til 100K. Makes
a new car look almost maintainance-free. Comparing the two, the casual
observer could come to the conclusion that the Triumph is unreliable
because it needs work more often. Check the cost for the regular work on
each and you'll be in for a shock. My Nissan needs shocks all around. The
car has struts at all 4 corners and the best price I've come up with is
about $475 and I can't do the work myself. How much does this sort of thing
cost on a TR6? Perhaps $250 and a few hours of your time. A dealer will
nick me $250 for the 30K service on my Nissan, most of which is devoted to
hooking it to a computer and adjusting sensors and such. How long to do
that work on a TR6? A few hours in the garage.

I hope this doesn't sound like a rant. Cars have changed radically since
the Triumph was contemporary. With the proper care, they are wonderful cars
that will take you anywhere you wish to go, in a style you'll never find
again.

Phil Barnes
peb3@cornell.edu
'71 TR6  CC61193L (20 year owner)