Tire Widths (was Re: TR4)

To: FLANIGAN@hap.arnold.af.mil
Subject: Tire Widths (was Re: TR4)
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 15:31:59 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

>  I got your name from the VTR web site as the official TR4 consultant for
>  the club. I have a '65 TR4 (#CT38720 L) that I am trying to restore.

The first thing is that your car is actually a '64.  The first car
manufactured in '65 was CT40193.  What probably happened was that by the time
it arrived at the dealer's it was sometime in 1965 and so the car was first
registered as a '65.  You might want to get the "build record" from the
British Motor Industry Heritage Trust.  This will give you the exact date of
manufacture, original colors (interior and exterior), optional equipment etc.
 This will be very helpful to you in your restoration and is nice when
framed.

>  Also, can a larger size tire be fitted to this rim instead of the stock
>  165/15 metric, say a 185/70-15 without rubbing the wheel wells in
>  corners and under a load. I'm also not sure if the 70 aspect ratio is
>  even offered on a 185/70-15. If you have had success with larger rubber
>  please fill me in.

I know that wider tires can be fitted.  Since the aspect ratio is the ratio
of sidewall height to cross-section, a 165/70 (which was the original ) and a
185/ 60 would be close (sidewall heights of 115.5mm for the 165/70 and 111mm
for the 185/60 - a 185/70 would have a height of 129.5mm).  How high/wide is
too high/wide? - I don't know offhand BUT people on the "Triumph list" have
used various sized tires.  I am going to copy this to the list - you might
get some answers back.
Do you know about "the list?"  If not come back to me and I'll tell you about
it.   BTW in the '60's my original wheels were always commented upon with
"Wow, look how wide those tires are!"

>  The car is signal red with a white top and black leather interior.
Recently
>  I had the wheels powder coated and I am wondering if the wheel color
>  (almond, cream or off white?) is the factory color. I just had the
>  powder coater match the existing color. Is this almond, cream, off-white
>  color correct? When I scratched through the paint there wasn't any other
>  color below. Seems like it's the real color but I need your expert
>  opinion.

This is an interesting subject.  I have just recently found out that some
later TR4's had their disc wheels painted white.  See below for the answer.
 (The TR4A vehicle consultant put this up on his section of our web site.  It
also applies to TR4's since they were the model in procuction in '63).

                           Spa White Painted Wheels

                                 Genser-Forman Inc. Triumph Distributors
                                 New York - New Jersey - Pennsylvania
                                 1200 Springfield Road
                                 Union, New Jersey
                                 MUrdock 8-0050

 TO: All Dealers
 DEPT: Service and Parts
 DISTRIBUTION: All Dealers
 BULLETIN: S-62-48
 DATE: January 2, 1963
 SUBJECT: Spa White Painted Wheels
 RELEASE: Immediate

 Owing to reasons beyond their control, we have been advised by the factory
in
 England that, with effect early in March 1963, all models in the range will
 have their road wheels painted in Spa White color in place of the silver
 aluminum color at present in use.

 This change will considerably enhance the appearance of our products and it
 is imperative that all dealers are advised as this can be used as an
 additional selling point.

 There will be no additional charge made for this improvement.

 [signed]
 A. E. Sherman
 Vice President - Service
 This page (http://www.vtr.org/TR4A/TR4A-wheels.html) last updated 26 August
 1996.

             Copyright * 1995 - 1997 The Vintage Triumph Register

> Thanks for your time and help.

You're welcome.  Hope this was enough help.  If not, please feel free to ask
more questions.
Cheers.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner)
VTR TR4 vehicle consultant