Re: Strange Brakes at the end of Triumph

To: npenney@erols.com
Subject: Re: Strange Brakes at the end of Triumph
From: Bob Sykes <s1500@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 13:01:00 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Nolan Penney wrote:

-snip-
> So the other day, I swap out master cylinders from my 84 parts car.
> This is where the fun began.  Swap out master cylinders, cuss up a storm
> that the line reaching back to the fire wall end of the master cylinder
> won't reach.  Go back to parts car, pull line.  Come back to 80, and
> discover that hey, this sucker is plumbed up backwards!  No kidding,
> it's *reversed* from the way the manual's show it to be.  Back to parts
> car, pull other line so that I can plumb it up right according to the
> manuals.  Which, btw, is backwards to everything I've ever seen or done
> before.  Cuss up another storm, lines won't thread into the 80's brake
> light thingie.
-snip-

There's no telling just what you might find on an *84* Spitfire ;-)
Seriously, what you found is normal.  Your '80 Spit brakes plumbing
is not so unique.  This arrangement can be found on '76 and later Spits.
'75 and earlier tandem brake systems used a "stepped bore" master cyl.
with different displacement and incompatible fittings all the way down
to the unions near the car frame.  I went through this same frustrating
experience a couple of years ago, and then checked the manuals *after*
I had figured out how to work around it, like you did.

> I also replaced a wheel cylinder with a gen-u-ine Gurling wheel
> cylinder.  The bleed nipple for it?  Takes a 10mm wrench, and the nipple
> will *not* interchange with the other wheel cylinder.

Yep, it would seem the aftermarket brake cylinders are like this.  I
have
used two different brands (both made in Italy) with the 10mm bleed
nipples.
The flexible brake hoses being supplied these days also require metric
tools,
but thread into the calipers / rear fittings just fine.  I hated to
"taint"
my car with metric hardware, but good brakes were more important.

--
Bob Sykes
'78 Spitfires