Re: '77 Spitfire/ Racin' Herald

To: nowin4me@telis.org, Kris Cotton <krisc@pi.bnis.net.au>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: '77 Spitfire/ Racin' Herald
From: John Matthews <matthews@sj.bigger.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 10:26:15 -0700
Andrew Mace wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Jun 1997, John Matthews wrote:
>
> > Morning All,
> >
> > Thanks to Dave Hodge I'm now the proud owner of a 1977 Spitfire 1500...
> > Soon the motor and
> > tranny will reside in the '61 racin' Herald, the brakes will go to Dave
> > for his next Herald, and the chassis and differential to Dick Nyquist's
> > SCCA GT-6.
>
> John, what is the engine mount arrangement in the '61? Do you have the
> small mounts down on the frame? If so, consider using the front suspension
> turrets from the Spitfire in the Herald. They should bolt in with no
> particular fuss. Then you can mount your engine "properly." If you've
> already got such a setup, forget you saw this message.
>
> Signed,
>
> Tony Cotton :-)
>
> --Andy
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> * Andrew Mace, President and                *
> *   10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant *
> * Vintage Triumph Register                  *
> * amace@unix2.nysed.gov                     *
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Andy,

I was looking at just this very thing last night. Since I've already
stripped the front end down to the turrets to paint and replace bushings
and such so I'll probally use the ones from the Spit. My racer friend
has suggested having them magnafluxed as well$$$.

Also I'm looking for an intake manifold to convert to SU's. No way I'm
gonna run that ZS carb on my racer. Any suggestions?? Will my HS-2's
flow enough air, or do I need to go to 4's? Webers?
It's a low mileage engine with good compression, so I'll probally leave
it stock for now, but I need a header. The 1147cc one won't bolt up will
it? Does anyone have parts they want to trade?

This swap will probally bump me into OSP, so eventually I'll be looking
for engine mods. More power=broken stub axles on these cars, should I
keep the 1500's rear end just in case? Is the 1500's diff any stronger,
or does it just have bigger flanges? Can I get other ratios for it?

I know, I just asked about a dozen questions with potentially hundreds
of answers....
For now I just want to do what I need to do to run a few events this
season. Anyone out there who wants to swap parts or info can mail me
direct, as this is probally getting off topic for this list. TIA.

Cheers,

JOhn Matthews
'61 Racin' Herald