Re: Flat black on the TR6 body

To: "Mark S. Lepore, MD" <Sirmoog@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Flat black on the TR6 body
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 09:19:43 -0500 (EST)
Cc: TRIPHSTEVE@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Fri, 27 Jun 1997, Mark S. Lepore, MD wrote:

> I have a question about this thread:
> Did all TR6 cars have a black rear valence?

The answer is: NO.

> The reason I ask is my
> "new" 1971 is uniformly red, and appears to be original paint.  No black
> paint anywhere.  I guess if all the red cars had a black rear end, then
> this paint wouldn't be original.  Just wondering.

I believe that '69's had body color on the rear valance and windscreen
frame. I'm not sure what the cutover was. If your car is a '71 it would
def. have the blacked out rear valence.

If your paint appears original, I would double check two things:

1. that the body color is the same color as mentioned on the vehicle ID
plate, see note A.

2. the the car has never been in an collision involving the rear of the car.

Note A. Some factory colors either did not sell well or the dealers were
not confident that they would sell. The dealers would have the new cars
sprayed other colors that they figured would sell better. I have seen
several cars that were originally "Damson" that had been repainted a red
color similar to Pimento or Carmine and the owners swear the color was
original. Further investigation reveals: Damson is on the plate.

> Sirmoog
> '71 TR6

rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
Quote: How many Triumphs do you own??? A few.