Re: Fuel pump for TR6

To: "Lex Garey" <lgarey@mail.dot.state.nc.us>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Fuel pump for TR6
From: "STU-JO" <STU-JO@prodigy.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 20:24:41 -0400
Lex, the repro mechanical pump is relaiively inexpensive and on a TR6 takes
5 minutes to install. I keep a spare in the trunk.

----------
From: Lex Garey <lgarey@mail.dot.state.nc.us>
To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuel pump for TR6
Date: Wednesday, June 25, 1997 12:37 PM

Well, the fuel pump on my '74 TR6 stopped working the other night about
100 miles from home.  It wasn't the mechanical pump, it was an electric
one the previous owner had installed.  I was able to get home by
bypassing the pump.  I guess gravity and some suction from the carbs is
barely enough to feed the engine.  I say barely because it would only go
about 45 MPH on long uphills.  I kept the tank full, which helped.

Anyway, now I need to replace the pump.  I was wondering if anyone
had any suggestions.  Also, I had heard of someone installing a pump at
the tank end, so that the fuel in the line was under pressure (being
pushed rather than pulled), to reduce the chance of vapor lock.  He had
also re-routed the line away from the exhaust pipes and their heat.  Any
thoughts on this?

Thanks
Lex Garey, Shelby, NC
'74 TR6