Re: TR3a overdrive retrofit

To: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Subject: Re: TR3a overdrive retrofit
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 10:54:26 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 25 Jun 1997 JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com wrote:

> Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
>      I'd like to find out what's involved in adding an overdrive unit to my
>      '60 TR3a. I may have an opportunity to get one if I act fast, but have
>      to know how much I need to buy. Here's what (I think) I need to know:

        The input shaft for the OD is shorter than it is for the stock tranny
        You'll need it and the OD adapter plate... The lock out switches
        for 1st gear and reverse is on the casting with the shift linkage...
        you'll need them too. Get the whole unit with switches from a salvage
        yard or drill out and tap your stock unit. You'll also need the
        wiring harness, a relay and the switch (all obtainable.. You can make
        the harness)

        The easiest is to get the whole OD tranny and install it at one shot.
        Doing the deed with swapping components is not impossible just
        less... convienient.

        My experience was with a TR6 OD and a TR4 tranny... The castings
        for the housings match up but not exactly... It leaks a bit (hell,
        the Green Man's famous for it)

>      2. Is the overall length going to be different, thus necessitating
>      getting the shorter driveshaft from the overdrive(n) car?

        No It should not be any different lengthwise besides the drive
        shaft telescopes on my `4 it should too on your `3

>      3. Should I care about the differential ratio?

        Enjoy the lower revs cruising... Thrill to the higher top end!

>      4. Any speedometer implications?

        None that I know of other than, possibly needing a longer cable...
        I opted for a TR6 right angle drive

        Get in there... Do the deed, figure the fixes as you go... Life's
        an adventure!!!

        Greg "I've seen the DPO... And he is me!" Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois