TR3 - Thermostat temperatures

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3 - Thermostat temperatures
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 09:22:04 -0400
I have been involved in a discussion, with a club member, about thermostat
temperature ratings, as I have located a skirted 160F thermostat, but I am a
little unsure if it will be better than my current setup, a 180F non-skirted
thermostat, with a restricted bypass. Is a 160F thermostat too low for a
street driven TR3?  Would 180F be better, assuming it didn't overheat in
traffic?

Basically, I like the idea of a 160F as it leaves a lot of head room before
dangerous overheating, but I am concerned about running too cool and the
resulting deposits inside the engine which I feel might occur.

Any thoughts or experience.  It's that time of year for another cooling thread.

TIA,

Jack