Re: suspension woes 2

To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: Re: suspension woes 2
From: Robert J Carley <rcarley@uoguelph.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 15:24:24 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

On Mon, 23 Jun 1997, Peter Zaborski wrote:

> My second problem concerns the front shocks (dampers). I need to replace
> them since one is broken from its lower mount (the shock absorber mount
> not the suspension member).
>
> So the question is what shocks are suitable replacements for the stock
> TR6 units? Are any readily available from local sources (ie. the usual
> car parts stores) or are TR6 shocks so unique as to not be available
> from any source other than Moss, TRF, etc?

        There is a local supplier of British and European car parts who
        advertises BOGE shocks for the TR6 front.
        I picked up a set of non-adjustable SPAX shocks - very stiff.

> PS. My _rear_ springs will not come out of their housings when the
> damper link arm is disconnected and the jack is removed from the
> trailing arm (car is up on stands, wheels removed). Does this mean my
> springs are longer (taller) than they should be? I will defintiely need
> a spring compressor to remove the rears. This is not consistent with
> what others have written on this topic. Insights appreciated.

        I just rebuilt my suspension.  To remove the rear springs, I had
        to force the trailing arm down a little with my foot.  I also had
        to pry the springs out with a large flat screwdriver - not very
        difficult, but a little effort was required.  I used the
        screwdriver as a lever to replace them - again, not much force
        needed, just a gentle positioning.  I can't see you needing a
        spring compressor for the rear shocks.
        I assume you detached the parking brake cable and the brake lines
        from the trailing arm.

Robert Carley
73 TR6