Starting spitfire cold, engine instruments question (Novice)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net (triumphs@autox.team.net)
Subject: Starting spitfire cold, engine instruments question (Novice)
From: jw@mail09.mitre.org (Joseph S. Whalley)
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 97 20:03:47 -0400
I have recently obtained a 72 Spitfire that had not run in 3 years. I had the
air filter off when I was first trying to start it. It would not start at all,
leading me to think there was much too lean (spark fine). Putting the filter
on and spraying with start fluid got it going. I can start the engine with
full choke with starting fluid sprayed on the air cleaner, and it will run
fine at around 2000 RPM. I can push the choke in after about 2-3 minutes, and
idle at about 1000. It will then start fine when warm without start fluid, but
never starts when cold without it. The choke seems to be moving freely.

Regarding instruments, the temp gauge ends in the engine compartment with a
big sensor that should screw into a hole in the block - it's a thermal sensor,
not electrical. My manual shows the temp sensor to be electrical.  I also
found a thin tube, (that I thought was a black wire) coming from the block up
the the panel, but not connected. It appears that this is full of oil, and is
some kind of oil pressure sender, again, I thought that this should be
electrical. What would this tube connect to - it has a wood screw in the end
of it! Do I have some non-standard sensors and temp gauge that need to be
ripped out? Since neither is connected at both ends, I effectively have
nothing.

Joe Whalley
(Really) Novice 72 Spitfire owner